No substance in Rane`s allegation, police tells High Court
Mumbai: There is no substance in the
allegation made by Maharashtra revenue minister Narayan Rane
that some politicians had assisted the terrorists who attacked
Mumbai on November 26, 2008, police told High Court today.
"We submitted a letter to the Bombay High Court saying
that probe into November 26 attack has not revealed the role
of any politician," public prosecutor P A Pol said.
The division bench of Justices Ranjana Desai and V K
Tahilramani, which was hearing the PIL filed by Solapur-based
Purushottam Barde in this regard, reserved the judgement.
A disgruntled Rane had said in a press conference in
December 2008 that he knew some politicians of ruling
coalition in the state who had provided assistance to
Rane was not on good terms with the Congress leadership
then and had resigned, but later he was taken back into the
Barde, a Shiv Sena activist, had sought inquiry into
Rane`s allegation. But in the affidavit filed before the High
Court, Rane said that he was merely referring to 1993 report
of N Vohra Committee, which had been set up to investigate
nexus between politicians and mafia, in the wake of Mumbai
The court had said in the last hearing that it would not
go into the statements made by politicians, but was concerned
about what action was taken on Vohra report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe