No tsunami threat in Mumbai: Chavan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday said that there was no Tsunami threat
in Mumbai after an earthquake of 8.9 magnitude hit waters off
western coast of northern Sumatra in Indonesia.
Talking to reporters, Chavan said an alert has been
received from Hyderabad-based centre for National tsunami
warning as a precaution.
"The alert will continue till further instructions are
received. But, there is no threat in Mumbai," he added.
Earlier, the Met department here said an earthquake
measuring 3.4 on the Richter scale was recorded in the Arabian
"The shock registered at 18.6 degree latitude and 71.3
degree longitude in the Arabian Sea," Met department director
Rajeev Nair said.
The epicentre was 155 km from Mumbai, he said.
Also, there were reports of tremors being felt in
some parts of North Mumbai but the Met department said these
could not be verified so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah