None of our officers involved in con case: CBI informs Bombay HC
Mumbai: CBI on Tuesday informed the Bombay High Court that none of its officers were involved with the cons who posed as fake CBI officers and extorted money from various persons including Bollywood filmmaker Rakesh Roshan.
CBI counsel Ejaz Khan also informed a division bench of Justices PV Hardas and Mridula Bhatkar that the agency`s Special Vigilance Unit conducted a probe into the matter.
The High Court was hearing a public interest litigation filed by former journalist Ketan Tirodkar in the matter where two persons - Ashwini Kumar and Rajesh Ranjan - had posed as CBI officers and approached Rakesh Roshan with an offer to settle an inquiry pending against him with the probe agency.
The scam came to light after Roshan filed a complaint with the CBI. It was learnt that the duo had duped several other persons too. It was alleged that the duo were being helped by a CBI officer.
CBI today submitted a report in a sealed cover before the High Court and informed that chargesheet has been filed in the case. "These two accused acted independently and no CBI officer is involved," Khan said.
Tirodkar in his PIL had sought probe by a Special Investigation Team alleging involvement of CBI officials.
The High Court today reserved its order in the PIL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Myanmar's military investigates a 'war crime' in an era of reform
- Turkey's Erdogan beats foes for now, but at high cost to stability
- Pokemon GO launched in Japan; India's wait to be over soon?
- Navjot Singh Sidhu will not be AAP's CM candidate in Punjab, say top leaders
- India to test sub-scale demonstrator scramjet engine in 2016