Nooriya Haveliwala gets bail from High Court in accident case
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday granted bail to NRI beautician Nooriya Haveliwala, convicted for rash and negligent driving by the lower court.
The accident in which Haveliwala was involved had led to deaths of two persons, including a traffic constable.
Haveliwala has filed appeal before the High Court against her conviction. Justice RP Sondurbaldota today granted her bail, pending the hearing of appeal.
The state government too has filed appeal, seeking enhancement of punishment and challenging her acquittal under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act (NDPS).
The trial court had sentenced her to five years in jail.
On January 30, 2010, Nooriya, driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs, rammed her SUV into a police check post at Marine Lines in south Mumbai, killing a traffic policeman and a motorcyclist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued