Normalcy in Mumbai as Bal Thackeray improves
Mumbai: With prayers from his well wishers, Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray’s health condition is showing steady improvement. His son and Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray said here late Thursday that Balasaheb’s condition was `stable`.
"He is stable and we are doing everything we can...His health is improving...He is better than yesterday...We have still not given up hopes," Uddhav declared before a large crowd of activists and media-persons outside the family residence Matoshree in Bandra (East) around 11 pm.
"We are all praying for him, and it is the strength of our prayers that will see him through this crisis," Uddhav said, in his fourth media appearance in the past 20 hours.
86-year-old Thackeray, who had been ailing since some time, turned very critical on Wednesday night. However, his condition showed improvement yesterday.
"Balasaheb is responding to medical treatment," Uddhav had said.
Following the positive announcements made by several leaders, Mumbaikars relaxed though crowds of supporters continued to throng Bandra (East) and the entire area remained under a security blanket.
Normal activities resumed in the city after the spontaneous near-total shutdown on Thursday. The thousands of Shiv Sena workers who had gathered outside the Thackeray residence Matoshree also began to disperse.
Thackeray has been under the care of a team of specialists from Lilavati Hospital, Bandra West, at his home. According to party leaders, a virtual ICU had been created at Matoshree with all emergency equipment and medical and para-medical staff on duty round-the-clock.
Other leaders, including senior Shiv Sena leader Subhash Desai, party MP Sanjay Raut, and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray, also Thackeray`s nephew, assured the people that his condition was "stabilising".
A steady stream of VVIPs, industrialists and glamour world personalities visited the Thackeray residence yesterday. Amongst them were Governor K Sankaranarayanan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Home Minister RR Patil, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief Nitin Gadkari and Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar.
Yoga guru Baba Ramdev called on the ailing Shiv Sena supremo this morning.
Glamour world personalities like Amitabh Bachchan and his son Abhishek, Rishi Kapoor with brother Randhir, Salim Khan and son Salman Khan, Manoj Kumar, Madhur Bhandarkar, Bappi Lahiri, industrialists VN Dhoot, Rahul Bajaj and others visited Matoshree to enquire about Thackeray`s delicate health.
Mumbai Police and other security agencies have made heavy security arrangements outside Matoshree and in large parts of Bandra East, barely a stone`s throw away from the CBD, Bandra-Kurla Complex, which also houses the US Consulate and the British Deputy High Commission.
Over 350 police personnel, Rapid Action Force and other contingents led by senior officers have deployed security in the vicinity to prevent any untoward incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM