Notify Shivaji Park as silence zone: Bombay HC
Mumbai: In an interim order, the Bombay
High Court on Wednesday directed the Municipal Corporation of Greater
Mumbai to notify Shivaji Park ground in western Mumbai as
The park is the venue of Shiv Sena`s annual Dussehra
rally, apart from political rallies of other parties.
The court said that programmes can be held at the park
only on December 6 (death anniversary of Dr Ambedkar), May 1
(Maharashtra-state foundation day) and on January 26.
The order came in response to the PIL filed by
city-based Wecom Trust.
The petitioners had contended that since there were
several schools and religious places within the radius of 100
metre, the area should be declared as Silence Zone as per the
Noise Pollution Rules, 2000.
No loudspeakers can be used in such areas, so the
order will make it difficult for political parties to hold
rallies at the park as long as the interim order is in effect.
The hearing in the case has been adjourned till June
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh