Now, Deshmukh passes buck on Adarsh scam
Mumbai: Former Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, who was grilled by the two-member inquiry commission set up by the state government to probe into the Adarsh scam, on Wednesday denied playing any role in it.
As per reports, Deshmukh told the probe panel that he had signed the files related to Adarsh Housing Society only after it was cleared by the sttae’s revenue and the Finance ministry.
The senior Congress leader informed the commission that when the Adarsh files came to his table it had the clearance from then Revenue Minister Ashok Chavan and the Finance Minister Jayant Patil.
He also reportedly told the panel that he gave the approval to Adarsh file only after it was cleared by the two ministers concerned.
Deshmukh made this revelation before the commission, which grilled him for the second day today.
Before him, Union Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde had deposed before the panel and informed it that the decision to allot government land and grant of additional FSI to the housing society was taken during the tenure of Vilasrao Deshmukh as Chief Minister.
Both Shinde and Deshmukh had handled files pertaining to the controversial society during their stint as Maharashtra Chief Minister.
"The decision to allot the land in question to Adarsh society was taken prior to my taking over as Chief Minister. The Letter of Intent (LOI) was issued in favour of Adarsh on the morning of January 18, 2003 when Vilasrao Deshmukh was the Chief Minister. It was not issued under my instructions and it was never brought to my notice," Shinde said.
The 71-year-old Union Minister deposed before a two-member inquiry commission set up by the state government to probe into the Adarsh scam. While the commission has already concluded that the land belonged to the state government and not the Ministry of Defence, it is now looking into whether any rules were flouted while granting various clearances to the society.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today