Now, Shiv Sena demands ban on burqa
Mumbai: The Shiv Sena on Tuesday demanded a ban on burqa, calling the Muslim veil a threat to security interests.
In an editorial in party mouthpiece Saamna, the party said Turkey had once banned the burqa and now France had followed suit.
It said criminals were using the burqa to commit crimes.
It cited how a new born was stolen from the VN Desai Hospital here, and how CCTV footage showed a 5.2 feet tall burqa clad person committing the crime.
Earlier, a burqa clad person stole a four-day-old infant from the Lokmanya Tilak Hospital in Sion.
In Mumbai, many thousands of woman roam around in the burqa, even in public hospitals, but it is not possible to lift the veil of each woman and check their antecedents.
If a security personnel did that, then it led to protests, it said.
The edit contended that Islam has nothing to do with the burqa and that India should ban the veil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal