Now, Shiv Sena has `no objection` to Sania-Shoaib marriage
Mumbai: A day after attacking tennis star Sania Mirza for her proposed marriage to Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik, the Shiv Sena did a U-turn on the issue Saturday, terming it her "personal matter".
Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray told mediapersons here that the party`s views on Sania-Shoaib marriage were made clear in party mouthpiece Saamna Friday.
"Beyond that, we have no problems with Sania Mirza`s marriage with anybody. It`s a personal matter and she has right to make a choice of her life partner," Uddhav declared.
To a question whether Sania should not marry Shoaib, Uddhav replied: "How can I tell her that? We have no objections to her marrying anybody."
"Do you have any objections?" he countered to the journalist who had raised the question, even as gathering was in splits.
In an editorial in Saamna, the Shiv Sena had Friday lashed out at the proposed Sania-Shoaib marriage. It even advised her to "play for Pakistan" after her marriage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror