NRHM contract employees hold demonstration
Thane: Contract employees in Maharashtra under the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) are agitated over the State Government`s decision to outsource the services under the Centre-sponsored programme.
To protest against the Government`s move, more than 250 such staffers employed in Thane district on Friday held a demonstration in front of the district collectorate braving heavy downpour.
The protesters, mostly women, displayed placards and shouted slogans against the Government.
More than 20,000 employees in the State will be adversely affected by this move, said Nandkishore Kasar, Executive President, Rashtriya Gramin Arogya Abhiyan Adhikari Aur Karmachari Mahasangh, a union representing contract staffers under the scheme launched in April 2005.
Union members said the staffers are currently employed on contract with the Government, which proposes to hand over the entire activity under the scheme to private agencies.
The protesters also demanded several benefits such as provident fund, life insurance, and increase in number of leaves, among others.
The NRHM seeks to provide accessible, affordable and quality healthcare to the rural population, especially the vulnerable sections. The Centre funds 75 per cent of the costs of the project, a flagship scheme of the Congress-led UPA Government implemented by States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says