NRI beautician convicted in drunken driving case
Mumbai: NRI beautician Nooriya Haveliwala was on Thursday convicted by a special NDPS court for mowing down two persons, including a policeman, while driving her SUV under the influence of alcohol in 2010.
The court, however, acquitted her of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act charges.
The NDPS court judge I M Bohri will pronounce the quantum of punishment later in the day.
Nooriya was taken into custody soon after the court held her guilty under Section 304 (II) for culpable homicide not amounting to murder, Motor Vehicles Act and Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act.
It is the prosecution`s case that on January 30, 2010 Nooriya rammed her SUV, killing two people and injuring three others. She later tested positive for drugs and alcohol.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed