NSG Mumbai hub safe; commandos move in
New Delhi: NSG commandos based at their hub in Mumbai have moved into their permanent structures after experts declared them safe for occupation following reports of cracks in them.
An IIT Roorkee team visited the facility recently which houses a squad of 241 `black cat` commandos and support staff deployed at the newly-created hub in the western metropolis to enable the commandos to take swift counter-terror and counter-hijack missions.
"The IIT-Roorkee team has vetted the design of the structures and they have approved the quality and design.”
The commandos have moved in the permanent structures.
“The structures are totally safe," NBCC director (Projects) AK Mittal told a news agency.
The structure, located in Marol in suburban Andheri in Mumbai on a 23-acre land given by the Maharashtra government, has been built by the state-owned National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC) at a cost of Rs 56 crore.
The commandos were forced to occupy "semi-permanent and pre-fabricated" structures in the same complex for some time after the flaws were reported in the building.
Mittal said the engineering experts have visited the facility, inaugurated by the then home minister P Chidambaram in February this year, and the hub is totally operational with the commandos occupying both official and family accommodations.
NSG chief Subhash Joshi also confirmed the development saying the hub in Mumbai is "functioning round-the-clock and the commandos are occupying the structures".
The hub has facilities for housing, training and other operational requirements of NSG commandos.
The Mumbai hub has been created to cater to any terrorist or hijack emergency in the western part of the country, a decision taken the aftermath of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks of 2008.
The hub will also have helicopter landing facilities for quick `air-insertion` of commandos.
The NSG hub, which has commandos ready to undertake operations 24x7, was operating from another location in Kalina in the city for some time as permanent infrastructure was being set up at the present location at Marol.
The government has created four NSG hubs across the country at Chennai, Kolkata and Hyderabad apart from Mumbai after the commando force received flak for taking time in responding to the 2008 Mumbai terror strikes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door