‘Number 13, a favourite number of Bal Thackeray’
Mumbai: The number 13 is considered unlucky by many in the country but it was Bal Thackeray`s favourite number.
86-year-old Thackeray, who died on Saturday, got married on June 13, 1948, and launched his cartoon weekly `Marmik` on August 13, 1960.
This nugget of information finds mention in an upcoming book "Bal Thackeray: Rise of Shiv Sena" by a Mumbai journalist Vaibhav Purandare.
Though no believer in numerology, the Shiv Sena supremo liked numbers to add up to 9, the book said, adding by a coincidence, he died at 3.33 pm, a number that adds up to his lucky one.
The book also mentioned that Thackeray quit a Mumbai newspaper where he was employed as a cartoonist thrice.
The first time, because he was asked to sit next to the telephone, which buzzed all the time and disturbed his concentration.
The reason for which the firebrand leader quit the second time was because his freedom of expression was "muzzled" as he was asked to avoid drawing cartoons on "holy cows" such as SK Patil and Minoo Masani, the book said. Patil, a Congressman, was an uncrowned king of Mumbai before Thackeray himself acquired that epithet.
The third time Thackeray quit was because he and a group of journalists from the newspaper decided to get together and launch a daily.
The book mentions that Thackeray`s fondness for warm beer was well-known but said he was equally fond of his cigars.
When Sharad Pawar visited him in a hospital, Thackeray told him, with trademark humour, "My girlfriend is not with me." By girlfriend, he meant the cigar. The Shiv Sena boss was forced to give up smoking for a while because of illness.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference