‘Number 13, a favourite number of Bal Thackeray’
Mumbai: The number 13 is considered unlucky by many in the country but it was Bal Thackeray`s favourite number.
86-year-old Thackeray, who died on Saturday, got married on June 13, 1948, and launched his cartoon weekly `Marmik` on August 13, 1960.
This nugget of information finds mention in an upcoming book "Bal Thackeray: Rise of Shiv Sena" by a Mumbai journalist Vaibhav Purandare.
Though no believer in numerology, the Shiv Sena supremo liked numbers to add up to 9, the book said, adding by a coincidence, he died at 3.33 pm, a number that adds up to his lucky one.
The book also mentioned that Thackeray quit a Mumbai newspaper where he was employed as a cartoonist thrice.
The first time, because he was asked to sit next to the telephone, which buzzed all the time and disturbed his concentration.
The reason for which the firebrand leader quit the second time was because his freedom of expression was "muzzled" as he was asked to avoid drawing cartoons on "holy cows" such as SK Patil and Minoo Masani, the book said. Patil, a Congressman, was an uncrowned king of Mumbai before Thackeray himself acquired that epithet.
The third time Thackeray quit was because he and a group of journalists from the newspaper decided to get together and launch a daily.
The book mentions that Thackeray`s fondness for warm beer was well-known but said he was equally fond of his cigars.
When Sharad Pawar visited him in a hospital, Thackeray told him, with trademark humour, "My girlfriend is not with me." By girlfriend, he meant the cigar. The Shiv Sena boss was forced to give up smoking for a while because of illness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh