Obama to celebrate Diwali with school kids
Mumbai: US President Barack Obama, who began
his maiden three-day visit to India from the city, will
celebrate Diwali with school children here on Saturday.
The Diwali celebration will be the first in his packed
itinerary on the second day of his tour.
Obama and his wife Michelle will meet students of Holy
Name High School, located very close to the Taj Mahal Hotel,
where he will stay overnight.
"The students will show Obama and his wife the
traditional "rangoli" made by them for the occasion. The
visiting dignitaries will be requested to fill the Peacock
design with powder colours," sources said.
The first couple of United States will then be taken
around the science exhibition, highlighting awareness about
pollution and environment, they said.
Obama and his wife will interact with 16 students, who
participated in the exhibition and will also meet their
parents and teachers, they said.
Students will perform two traditional dances, including a
`koli` dance, on the occasion, the sources said.
Last year, the US President had presided over a Diwali
celebration at the White House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof