‘Officer can lose job if he turns woman complainant away`
Mumbai: Claiming that city police had been now sensitised enough to deal properly with the crimes against women, though earlier there was "some insensitivity in the lower rung", Mumbai police commissioner Satyapal Singh on Saturday said strict action would follow if a woman`s complaint is not entertained.
"My police force will not tolerate any incidents of eve- teasing or molestation. Earlier there was some insensitivity towards such cases in the lower rung, but we have held courses for them. Now every police official knows that if he does not take cognisance of a woman`s complaint pertaining to sexual offence, he can get dismissed," Singh said at a function organised by the Indian Merchants Chambers here.
With the change in police`s attitude, more and more women were coming forward to lodge complaints, he said. "Compared to 2010-11, last year the number of cases registered is four times more. This does not mean the offences committed has gone up. It means people are now not afraid to lodge a case against the accused."
On low conviction rates in cases of sexual offences, Singh said, "If the offences are committed by family members or relatives or boyfriend, then the victim (subsequently) either turns hostile or marries the accused. In such situations the police cannot be blamed."
The police commissioner also emphasized the need to
educate children to change the mindset early on. "When Raavan abducted Sita and kept her in confinement for 365 days, he did not touch her even once. Will that happen in today`s age ‘If a woman is kidnapped today do you think a man will refrain from touching her.’ Education needs to be imparted about gender equality and values," Singh said.
Talking about the alleged molestation of women constables during the Azad Maidan riot last year, Singh said during his tenure as police chief, he would not tolerate any kind of misbehaviour towards the force, especially the women personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22