Oil spill: Situation under control, says Chavan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan Tuesday said the situation arising out of the oil spill following collision of two cargo vessels is completely under control as Coast Guard officials have plugged the leakages.
"The situation is under control now. I was briefed by the Coast Guard officials that the leakage from where the oil was spilling out from MSC Chitra has been plugged yesterday
and no further oil spill has been reported," Chavan said.
To a query, Chavan said it is estimated that between 400-500 metric tonnes of oil might have spilled from MSC Chitra. He was speaking to reporters after reviewing the oil
spill situation at the Coast Guard headquarters in Worli.
However, the chemical dispersion exercise is underway, he said, adding, the experts from a Singapore firm, who arrived here, have started their operations related to oil
"The exercise to remove remaining oil from MSC Chitra will be initiated by respective agencies from August 13," Chavan said.
A decision regarding the restoration of traffic at Mumbai harbour would be taken after a review meeting with respective agencies soon, he added.
Two Panamanian cargo ships-- MSC Chitra and Merchant Vessel Khalija--had collided off the Mumbai coast on August 7, causing an oil-spill from one of the vessels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie