Oil spill: Situation under control, says Chavan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan Tuesday said the situation arising out of the oil spill following collision of two cargo vessels is completely under control as Coast Guard officials have plugged the leakages.
"The situation is under control now. I was briefed by the Coast Guard officials that the leakage from where the oil was spilling out from MSC Chitra has been plugged yesterday
and no further oil spill has been reported," Chavan said.
To a query, Chavan said it is estimated that between 400-500 metric tonnes of oil might have spilled from MSC Chitra. He was speaking to reporters after reviewing the oil
spill situation at the Coast Guard headquarters in Worli.
However, the chemical dispersion exercise is underway, he said, adding, the experts from a Singapore firm, who arrived here, have started their operations related to oil
"The exercise to remove remaining oil from MSC Chitra will be initiated by respective agencies from August 13," Chavan said.
A decision regarding the restoration of traffic at Mumbai harbour would be taken after a review meeting with respective agencies soon, he added.
Two Panamanian cargo ships-- MSC Chitra and Merchant Vessel Khalija--had collided off the Mumbai coast on August 7, causing an oil-spill from one of the vessels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing to discuss North Korean missile test
- Fiji military chief visits New Zealand for rebuilding of links between the armed forces
- Olympic flag arrives in Tokyo, host city of 2020 Summer Olympics
- Any talks on Kashmir must include Pakistan: Hurriyat Conference's Mirwaiz Umar Farooq
- Janmashtami special—Celebrate Krishna's birth with these top 5 Bollywood tracks!