Om Puri calls five-year-old girl`s rape "shameful"
Mumbai: Amid public outrage over the brutal rape of a five-year-old girl, Bollywood actor Om Puri says the recent incidents of atrocities indicate the erosion of values in the society.
"We call ourselves a 5,000 year old civilisation. We proudly say this is the land of Buddha and Gandhi. Today, where is Buddha? Where is Gandhi," the actor said.
"Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev sacrificed their lives for the country. Have their lives gone in vain? Did we gain independence to see such disgrace," Puri said.
"When I read that some police personnel had offered the girl`s parents Rs 2,000 and told them to keep quiet over the issue, I felt ashamed. One becomes depressed after reading newspapers full of stories of corruption and atrocities on women," he added.
Puri, who received flak for decrying politicians while making a speech at the Ramlila Maidan during Anna Hazare`s 2011 agitation in Delhi, said, "Now I think what I said at Ramlila was right."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy