Om Puri calls five-year-old girl`s rape "shameful"
Mumbai: Amid public outrage over the brutal rape of a five-year-old girl, Bollywood actor Om Puri says the recent incidents of atrocities indicate the erosion of values in the society.
"We call ourselves a 5,000 year old civilisation. We proudly say this is the land of Buddha and Gandhi. Today, where is Buddha? Where is Gandhi," the actor said.
"Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev sacrificed their lives for the country. Have their lives gone in vain? Did we gain independence to see such disgrace," Puri said.
"When I read that some police personnel had offered the girl`s parents Rs 2,000 and told them to keep quiet over the issue, I felt ashamed. One becomes depressed after reading newspapers full of stories of corruption and atrocities on women," he added.
Puri, who received flak for decrying politicians while making a speech at the Ramlila Maidan during Anna Hazare`s 2011 agitation in Delhi, said, "Now I think what I said at Ramlila was right."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday