Om Puri calls five-year-old girl`s rape "shameful"
Mumbai: Amid public outrage over the brutal rape of a five-year-old girl, Bollywood actor Om Puri says the recent incidents of atrocities indicate the erosion of values in the society.
"We call ourselves a 5,000 year old civilisation. We proudly say this is the land of Buddha and Gandhi. Today, where is Buddha? Where is Gandhi," the actor said.
"Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev sacrificed their lives for the country. Have their lives gone in vain? Did we gain independence to see such disgrace," Puri said.
"When I read that some police personnel had offered the girl`s parents Rs 2,000 and told them to keep quiet over the issue, I felt ashamed. One becomes depressed after reading newspapers full of stories of corruption and atrocities on women," he added.
Puri, who received flak for decrying politicians while making a speech at the Ramlila Maidan during Anna Hazare`s 2011 agitation in Delhi, said, "Now I think what I said at Ramlila was right."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka