Om Puri calls five-year-old girl`s rape "shameful"
Mumbai: Amid public outrage over the brutal rape of a five-year-old girl, Bollywood actor Om Puri says the recent incidents of atrocities indicate the erosion of values in the society.
"We call ourselves a 5,000 year old civilisation. We proudly say this is the land of Buddha and Gandhi. Today, where is Buddha? Where is Gandhi," the actor said.
"Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev sacrificed their lives for the country. Have their lives gone in vain? Did we gain independence to see such disgrace," Puri said.
"When I read that some police personnel had offered the girl`s parents Rs 2,000 and told them to keep quiet over the issue, I felt ashamed. One becomes depressed after reading newspapers full of stories of corruption and atrocities on women," he added.
Puri, who received flak for decrying politicians while making a speech at the Ramlila Maidan during Anna Hazare`s 2011 agitation in Delhi, said, "Now I think what I said at Ramlila was right."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?