Om Puri calls five-year-old girl`s rape "shameful"
Mumbai: Amid public outrage over the brutal rape of a five-year-old girl, Bollywood actor Om Puri says the recent incidents of atrocities indicate the erosion of values in the society.
"We call ourselves a 5,000 year old civilisation. We proudly say this is the land of Buddha and Gandhi. Today, where is Buddha? Where is Gandhi," the actor said.
"Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev sacrificed their lives for the country. Have their lives gone in vain? Did we gain independence to see such disgrace," Puri said.
"When I read that some police personnel had offered the girl`s parents Rs 2,000 and told them to keep quiet over the issue, I felt ashamed. One becomes depressed after reading newspapers full of stories of corruption and atrocities on women," he added.
Puri, who received flak for decrying politicians while making a speech at the Ramlila Maidan during Anna Hazare`s 2011 agitation in Delhi, said, "Now I think what I said at Ramlila was right."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand