One charred to death, 2 injured as gas tanker catches fire near Pune
Pune: One person was charred to death and two others sustained serious burn injuries when a gas tanker caught fire after it was hit by a car at a petrol pump near here, police said on Sunday.
The propylene (inflammable) gas tanker had stopped last night for fuel refilling at the petrol pump at Varkutegaon near Indapur on the Pune-Solapur highway when a speeding car hit it from behind, SP (Pune Rural) Manoj Lohiya said.
This resulted in leakage and the tanker caught fire in which one person was charred to death. Two others sustained about 80 per cent burns and rushed to the Sassoon General hospital, the SP said.
The flames spread to the petrol pump which suffered major damages in the inferno. The fire, however, did not spread to the fuel storage tank there, police said. Some vehicles at the spot were also reduced to ashes.
Fire tenders from Baramati and Indapur were rushed to the spot to control the blaze.
The body was sent for postmortem, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company