One charred to death, 2 injured as gas tanker catches fire near Pune
Pune: One person was charred to death and two others sustained serious burn injuries when a gas tanker caught fire after it was hit by a car at a petrol pump near here, police said on Sunday.
The propylene (inflammable) gas tanker had stopped last night for fuel refilling at the petrol pump at Varkutegaon near Indapur on the Pune-Solapur highway when a speeding car hit it from behind, SP (Pune Rural) Manoj Lohiya said.
This resulted in leakage and the tanker caught fire in which one person was charred to death. Two others sustained about 80 per cent burns and rushed to the Sassoon General hospital, the SP said.
The flames spread to the petrol pump which suffered major damages in the inferno. The fire, however, did not spread to the fuel storage tank there, police said. Some vehicles at the spot were also reduced to ashes.
Fire tenders from Baramati and Indapur were rushed to the spot to control the blaze.
The body was sent for postmortem, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter