One charred to death, 2 injured as gas tanker catches fire near Pune
Pune: One person was charred to death and two others sustained serious burn injuries when a gas tanker caught fire after it was hit by a car at a petrol pump near here, police said on Sunday.
The propylene (inflammable) gas tanker had stopped last night for fuel refilling at the petrol pump at Varkutegaon near Indapur on the Pune-Solapur highway when a speeding car hit it from behind, SP (Pune Rural) Manoj Lohiya said.
This resulted in leakage and the tanker caught fire in which one person was charred to death. Two others sustained about 80 per cent burns and rushed to the Sassoon General hospital, the SP said.
The flames spread to the petrol pump which suffered major damages in the inferno. The fire, however, did not spread to the fuel storage tank there, police said. Some vehicles at the spot were also reduced to ashes.
Fire tenders from Baramati and Indapur were rushed to the spot to control the blaze.
The body was sent for postmortem, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH