One child killed in Mumbai landslide
Mumbai: A five-year old boy was killed and at least five others were injured in a landslide in a Mumbai suburb Thursday, officials said.
The accident occurred around 8.30 a.m. when a portion of a hill came crashing down on some hutments below near Ashok Nagar in Chembur, said an official of BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Disaster Management.
The five-year-old victim has been identified as Ganesh Khurade, while the injured have been rushed to Shatabdi Hospital here.
Mumbai, along with the coastal Konkan region, western and northern Maharashtra, has been lashed with incessant heavy rain the past few days. It has wiped out the rainfall deficit of June.
The heavy rain has resulted in flooding in hundreds of villages and scores of towns, overflowing rivers, lakes and reservoirs, as well as landslides and other obstructions which have disrupted life in the past five days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest