One dead as Goa-Mumbai bus plunges into ravine
Ratnagiri : One person was killed and 35 injured when a private tourist bus on its way from Goa to Mumbai plunged into a 200-feet-deep ravine early Tuesday, police said.
According to Lanjha police station chief Ramchandra Gavde in Ratnagiri district, the accident occurred around 2 a.m. on the Goa-Mumbai highway.
"Preliminary investigations indicate that the bus may have skidded on the wet roads due to the rains lashing the area in the past two days," Gavde said.
While one person was killed, 35 have been injured. The condition of four is stated to be serious and they are undergoing treatment at various hospitals in Lanjha and Ratnagiri, he added.
The Thane-registered bus belonged to Kal-Bhairav Travels and the owner has been summoned to Ratnagiri for investigations.
Large parts of the coastal Konkan region of the state have been experiencing very heavy rains since the past couple of days, especially Sindhudurg, Ratnagiri and Raigad, hitting traffic on the busy highway connecting the Maharashtra capital to the coastal state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Is Kashmir major cause of tension between India and Pakistan? Pak Army says 'Yes'
- Cheers! Uttar Pradesh Cabinet approves sale of liquor in tetra packs
- Congress leader Sheila Dikshit to head panel for Indira Gandhi Birth Centenary Celebrations
- IIFA diaries: Athiya Shetty basking under Spanish sun!
- Vodafone to file prospectus for IPO in August, plans to raise $2.5 billion: Sources