One dead as Goa-Mumbai bus plunges into ravine
Ratnagiri : One person was killed and 35 injured when a private tourist bus on its way from Goa to Mumbai plunged into a 200-feet-deep ravine early Tuesday, police said.
According to Lanjha police station chief Ramchandra Gavde in Ratnagiri district, the accident occurred around 2 a.m. on the Goa-Mumbai highway.
"Preliminary investigations indicate that the bus may have skidded on the wet roads due to the rains lashing the area in the past two days," Gavde said.
While one person was killed, 35 have been injured. The condition of four is stated to be serious and they are undergoing treatment at various hospitals in Lanjha and Ratnagiri, he added.
The Thane-registered bus belonged to Kal-Bhairav Travels and the owner has been summoned to Ratnagiri for investigations.
Large parts of the coastal Konkan region of the state have been experiencing very heavy rains since the past couple of days, especially Sindhudurg, Ratnagiri and Raigad, hitting traffic on the busy highway connecting the Maharashtra capital to the coastal state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured