One dies in Maharashtra bank dacoity
Ratnagiri: One person died and another was injured when dacoits opened fire while looting the Central Bank of India`s Jakadevi branch in Ratnagiri district Thursday, police said.
The heist took place around 1.30 pm when at least five armed men barged into the bank pointing guns at the staff and a few customers, an official of the Ratnagiri rural police control said.
When some staff and the peon on duty offered resistance, they were fired upon, resulting in the death of one and serious injuries to the peon.
Canteen employee Santosh S. Chavan, 35, died of bullet injuries while bank peon, Suresh Gurav, 52, is battling for life in a hospital.
The dacoits made off with around Rs.800,000 from the cash counter, a bank official said.
The district police have erected barricades and checkposts on all roads leading to Mumbai and Goa in a bid to nab the dacoits who sped off in a waiting SUV after committing the crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM