One dies in Maharashtra bank dacoity
Ratnagiri: One person died and another was injured when dacoits opened fire while looting the Central Bank of India`s Jakadevi branch in Ratnagiri district Thursday, police said.
The heist took place around 1.30 pm when at least five armed men barged into the bank pointing guns at the staff and a few customers, an official of the Ratnagiri rural police control said.
When some staff and the peon on duty offered resistance, they were fired upon, resulting in the death of one and serious injuries to the peon.
Canteen employee Santosh S. Chavan, 35, died of bullet injuries while bank peon, Suresh Gurav, 52, is battling for life in a hospital.
The dacoits made off with around Rs.800,000 from the cash counter, a bank official said.
The district police have erected barricades and checkposts on all roads leading to Mumbai and Goa in a bid to nab the dacoits who sped off in a waiting SUV after committing the crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams' camera zooms in on alluring views of these two places! - See pics
- Nico Rosberg surprised to see teammate Lewis Hamilton finishing 3rd in Belgian GP
- See pic: Cassini captures delicate glow on Saturn's ring!
- Mamata urges people to oppose strike, government warns absentees of action
- India, Myanmar agree to increase bilateral cooperation