One killed, 20 injured in Thane train collision
Mumbai: At least one woman was killed and another 20 passengers injured when the Vidarbha Express rammed into four derailed coaches of a Mumbai suburban train in Thane district, officials said here Thursday.
Teams of senior officials, medicos and relief workers have been rushed to the scene of the double accident between Kasara and Umbermali, said a Central Railway official.
The accident occurred around 9.30 p.m., when four coaches of the Kasara-CST suburban local train derailed and fell across the parallel railway line.
A few minutes later, the speeding 12105 Mumbai-Gondia Vidarbha Express rammed into the derailed bogies scattered on its route towards Kasara.
As a result, the engine of the express train also derailed and blocked the services on both sides.
At present, suburban services and long-distance trains are being operated only till Asangaon on the CST-Satara section and efforts were continuing to clear both the railway tracks.
Heavy rains in the Thane-Raigad belt was hampering the rescue and relief operations which are likely to continue till Friday.
The CR has set up two helpline numbers for the benefit of the victims` relatives: 020-22694040/ 10720.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- All Audi India models to get petrol engines by Q1 2017
- India vs West Indies, 1st T20I Preview: Two countries enter new world of cricket in United States
- IIT-Bombay has blacklisted these 9 companies from placements for one year
- US Open: Ramkumar Ramanathan falls in first round of qualifiers
- Gems, jewellery exports up about 12% in Apr-Jul FY17