One killed, 20 injured in Thane train collision
Mumbai: At least one woman was killed and another 20 passengers injured when the Vidarbha Express rammed into four derailed coaches of a Mumbai suburban train in Thane district, officials said here Thursday.
Teams of senior officials, medicos and relief workers have been rushed to the scene of the double accident between Kasara and Umbermali, said a Central Railway official.
The accident occurred around 9.30 p.m., when four coaches of the Kasara-CST suburban local train derailed and fell across the parallel railway line.
A few minutes later, the speeding 12105 Mumbai-Gondia Vidarbha Express rammed into the derailed bogies scattered on its route towards Kasara.
As a result, the engine of the express train also derailed and blocked the services on both sides.
At present, suburban services and long-distance trains are being operated only till Asangaon on the CST-Satara section and efforts were continuing to clear both the railway tracks.
Heavy rains in the Thane-Raigad belt was hampering the rescue and relief operations which are likely to continue till Friday.
The CR has set up two helpline numbers for the benefit of the victims` relatives: 020-22694040/ 10720.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Hrithik Roshan – Kangana Ranaut legal tussle: Everything will come out soon, says actor
- Sidharth Malhotra chills like a boss! See pic
- Gold price extends gains, up Rs 200 per 10 grams
- Your travel cost to go down by 40% with India's first ever CNG two wheelers
- Lionel Messi announces international retirement after Copa America loss vs Chile