One killed, 20 injured in Thane train collision
Mumbai: At least one woman was killed and another 20 passengers injured when the Vidarbha Express rammed into four derailed coaches of a Mumbai suburban train in Thane district, officials said here Thursday.
Teams of senior officials, medicos and relief workers have been rushed to the scene of the double accident between Kasara and Umbermali, said a Central Railway official.
The accident occurred around 9.30 p.m., when four coaches of the Kasara-CST suburban local train derailed and fell across the parallel railway line.
A few minutes later, the speeding 12105 Mumbai-Gondia Vidarbha Express rammed into the derailed bogies scattered on its route towards Kasara.
As a result, the engine of the express train also derailed and blocked the services on both sides.
At present, suburban services and long-distance trains are being operated only till Asangaon on the CST-Satara section and efforts were continuing to clear both the railway tracks.
Heavy rains in the Thane-Raigad belt was hampering the rescue and relief operations which are likely to continue till Friday.
The CR has set up two helpline numbers for the benefit of the victims` relatives: 020-22694040/ 10720.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad