One nabbed in Mumbai`s Rs 1 crore e-banking fraud
Mumbai: One accused was arrested on Saturday and a hunt launched for 11 others in connection with a Rs 1 crore illegal transfer from a businessman`s bank account here, police said.
"We have arrested one person in this connection and are on the lookout for another 11 who are suspected to be involved in this fraud," Additional Police Commissioner (East) Quaiser Khalid told a news agency.
The financial crime - considered to be among the biggest online banking and business fruads - took place on Thursday in Mulund in north Mumbai.
Ankur Korane, 29, a director in a cosmetic company, suspected something amiss that morning when he received 12 SMSes informing him of debits of Rs 12 lakh, Rs 5 lakh, Rs 15 lakh and other amounts totalling Rs1 crore.
After the first two messages, Korane asked his bank to freeze his account but was told to furnish a police complaint.
Korane went to Mulund police station and lodged his complaint of cheating, fraud and impersonation.
Police said that the Rs 1 crore siphoned off from his account was transferred to 12 different bank accounts all over India.
Investigators suspect that Korane`s e-banking details may have been stolen to perpetrate the fraud.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in