One year on, Narendra Dabholkar`s killers still at large; Pune protests
Zee Media Bureau
Pune: `Who killed Narendra Dabholkar` is the mystery which is still to be unravelled. A year after the rationalist’s murder, thousands of social activists on Wednesday gathered here to mark his first death anniversary.
The campaigner against superstition and black magic was shot dead near the VRS Bridge near Junglee Maharaj Road in the city when he was taking a morning walk on August 20, 2013.
Scores of anti-superstition activists today took out a protest march through the city streets paying tributes to slain rationalist Narendra Dabholkar and condemning police failure in tracking down his assassins even after a year.
The Andhashraddha Nirmoolan Samiti activists joined by other volunteers, which included veteran Bollywood actor Naseeruddin Shah, participated in the march that started from the Omkareshwar bridge, to the spot where Dabholkar fell to bullets.
A similar protest march and rally will be held in south Mumbai`s Dadar this afternoon.
The protests will continue at all district levels over the next one year to raise awareness on the causes propounded by Dabholkar.
The son of the founder of Andhashraddha Nirmoolan Samiti, meanwhile, told a news agency: "It is a shame the government has failed to nab his killers even one year after his murder... We shall launch protests against the state government throughout Maharashtra in Dabholkar`s memory.”
Although the Maharashtra government passed the anti-superstition and black magic law last year for which Dabholkar campaigned all his life, the state police remained clueless about his murderers and the case was subsequently transferred to CBI for investigation on a High Court directive.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical