ONGC restores `near normalcy` at Mumbai High
New Delhi: State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has restored "near normalcy" at its prime Mumbai High oil and gas fields after a minor gas leak from a well being drilled.
The western offshore fields of ONGC are producing at near normal rate of 310,000 barrels per day and all personnel and facilities are unharmed.
"I think the leak has been blown out of proportion. In course of drilling operations, minor leaks happen and it all depends on how the company responds to it. We had all emergency procedure in place. There was no blowout and all non-essential personnel were safely evacuated," a top ONGC official said.
Drilling rig Sagar Uday, was operating at NS platform in Mumbai High North oil and gas field on well number NSBX for side-tracking. The depth reached is around 1,183 metres.
Yesterday, early morning, gas flow was observed from the outermost casing annulus.
The Operation has been stopped for safety reasons. Forty eight persons have been evacuated to nearby installations.
"It was a minor, non-threatening leak. Operations are normal and the leakage will be plugged today. Its near normalcy at the fields," he said.
As a precaution, ONGC had shut gas injection into some of the nearby wells in the Mumbai High North fields.
"In a field with close to a thousand wells, stoppage of gas injection in 3-4 wells will not lead to any significant loss of oil production," the official said.
The wells will be put to production after the leak is plugged.
Five vessels, including two Multi Support Vessels (MSVs), are on the location for any immediate support.
Crisis Management Team (CMT) of ONGC is on site. The preparation of plugging the leak is in progress.
International expert from Boots & Coots has also been mobilised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!