Onion farmers hold stocks in hope of lifting of export ban
Nashik: With prices of onion crashing to
Rs 4-10 a kg in the wholesale, farmers in the main producing region Nashik in Maharashtra are holding their stocks on hopes of lifting of export ban on the kitchen staple to earn
Onion farmers of Nashik, who have been blocking roads
and staging sit-ins for the past 10 days following a drastic
downturn in the price of the important veggie, have almost
halved the supply of onions to the APMC (Agriculture Produce
Market Committee) market today, official sources said.
Against normal supply of 140-150 tonnes, the arrival
today in main markets of Lasalgaon, Pimpalgaon and Manmad in
Nashik have come down to almost half, R.K.Gupta, Director,
NHRDF (National Horticulture Research Development Foundation),
an arm of Nafed which monitors onion price daily, said.
"It seems onion farmers are holding their stocks in
anticipation of total opening up of export of the vegetable
shortly," Gupta said.
Following farmers agitation, Maharashtra Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan and Union Agriculture minister Sharad Pawar
have urged the Centre to completely lift the export ban of
"The Government is giving its attention at the highest
level, to what has been said by the Maharashtra Chief Minister
and Union Agriculture Minister (Sharad Pawar)," Commerce and
Industry Minister Anand Sharma had said in Delhi last week.
The government had prohibited transhipment of onion
abroad in December last year to rein in prices of the bulb in
the domestic market which had soared to Rs 70-85 a kg in the
retail in the national capital and other cities.
In a crucial meeting of a ministerial panel on Food in
Delhi last week, the government had allowed export of two
varieties of onions--Bangalore Rose onions and Krishnapuram.
This fuelled hope among growers of a complete lifting of
the export ban on onions.
- Check jkbose.co.in for JKBOSE 12th Results 2016: Jammu and Kashmir Board Class 12 results declared
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal: Manohar Parrikar to make statement in Parliament today
- IPL 2016: Unsold at auction, Hashim Amla signed by Kings XI Punjab as replacement for injured Shaun Marsh
- NEET 2016: 2nd phase to be held on July 24; Centre and CBSE should start preparations, says Supreme Court
- 12 Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists detained as Delhi Police foils major terror plot, seizes explosives