Operation ‘salvage Wisdom’ abandoned
Mumbai: The operation to pull cargo ship MV Wisdom seawards from the Juhu beach was abandoned, Friday, after the tug boat entrusted with the job failed to dislodge the ship.
As per reports, the failure of the tug boat - with 70 tonne pull capacity - to haul away the 9,000 DWT (deadweight tonnage) MV Wisdom suggests that the ship is firmly stuck in the sand and extra pulling power would have to be pressed into service to achieve success.
The Directorate General of Shipping had planned to tow the ship out during when the high tide is at its peak. In order to make the ship sail, the water level should be above the draft of the ship - draft is the depth of water along the hull of a ship that is needed for a vessel to float.
MV Wisdom ran aground on June 11 when the cable to its tow boat vessel Seabulk Plover snapped, causing the vessel to drift towards the Mumbai coast. The Singapore flagged ship was being taken to Alang ship breaking yard in Gujarat from Colombo.
Initially, it was feared that it may hit the Bandra-Worli Sea Link, but it later veered towards the Juhu Chowpatty, where it ran aground.
As the vessel was being taken to be dismantled, it did not have any cargo or fuel and was unmanned; however concerns about the environmental impact of the ship on the marine ecosystem have been a cause of concern.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’