Opp forces adjournment in Maha Assembly
Nagpur: Opposition in the Maharashtra State Legislative Assembly on Wednesday forced adjournment of nearly one hour on the opening day of winter session of the State Legislature demanding a discussion on farmers plight due to unseasonal rains.
After the House assembled, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiviraj Chavan introduced his Cabinet colleagues and Speaker Dilip Walse Patil called for the Question Hour.
However, Leader of Opposition in the State Assembly Eknath Khadse (BJP), quoting rule 57 of House, demanded that question hour be suspended in favour of a discussion on farmers plight in view of losses to crops due to unseasonal rains.
He was soon joined by the entire opposition and members from opposition benches displayed banners and placards and shouted slogans demanding adequate compensation for farmers.
Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Harshwardhan Patil tried to intervened but was stopped by Khadse. Members moved in to the well of the House and continued slogan shouting.
The Speaker said he had given a ruling last year that rule 57 will not be considered and Question Hour will not be suspended.
However, sensing trouble and disorder, he adjourned the House till 1pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!