Oppn asks Maharashtra Govt to spell out vision for Mumbai
Mumbai: Opposition BJP in the Maharashtra
Assembly today said Mumbai can`t take any more population and
asked the ruling Congress-NCP alliance to spell out its
long-term vision and plan for the metropolis.
A time-bound action plan was necessary for improving the
civic amenities, basic infrastructure and augmenting power
generation and water supply to make the city a better place to
live in, Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse said while
speaking on a debate in the House on issues related to Mumbai.
"The biggest threat comes from global warming. If the sea
level rises by even one per cent, half of Mumbai will be under
"The environmental balance in Mumbai has collapsed,"
Khadse said, adding the financial capital cannot take the
burden of more population.
"The burden of Mumbai needs to be eased. The offices
should be shifted out of the city," he said.
Meanwhile, the BJP leader demanded a probe to know
whether the mill owners have paid dues to their workers before
closing down the units. "If their dues are still pending, the
government should not give permission for re-development (of
He alleged that there was?a nexus between officials of
Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA),
a government agency, and private real estate developers.
"How can you explain senior MHADA officials resigning
from their jobs after a few years and joining real estate
companies" he asked.
MHADA officials have been preparing housing schemes in
such a way that they benefit the builders, Khadse alleged.
The Opposition leader wondered why no report of the Slum
Rehabilitation Authority (SRA), a government body tasked with
re-development of slums, has been ever presented to the
"We get annual reports of other agencies like MMRDA
and CIDCO, but not SRA."
Chief Minister Ashok Chavan will reply to the debate
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it