Oppn defeats Cong-NCP in Khadakwasla bypoll
Pune: In a setback for the ruling Congress-NCP, the BJP-Shiv-Sena-RPI combine won the Khadakwasla bypoll, the results of which were announced on Monday.
The united opposition candidate Bhimrao Tapkir of the BJP defeated his rival Congress-NCP backed candidate Harshada Wanjale by over 4000 votes.
The election necessitated by the death of the popular Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) legislator Ramesh Wanjale. His widow Harshada contested the polls with the backing Congress-Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) combine, while MNS had decided against putting up any candidate as a tribute to Wanjale’s memory.
However, the result indicates that the Congress-NCP’s hope that Harshada Wanjale could benefit from her husband’s sympathy wave has not fructified.
On the other hand, it remains to be seen whether the opposition, which was expecting a fall-out of Hazare’s crusade on the election outcome, would give credit to the Gandhian for the victory.
The defeat in Khadakvasla would hurt the Congress more than the expected trouncing in Hisar as Maharashtra is considered a stronghold of the party, while it had come third in the last elections held for the Lok Sabha from the Haryana town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'