Oppn defeats Cong-NCP in Khadakwasla bypoll
Pune: In a setback for the ruling Congress-NCP, the BJP-Shiv-Sena-RPI combine won the Khadakwasla bypoll, the results of which were announced on Monday.
The united opposition candidate Bhimrao Tapkir of the BJP defeated his rival Congress-NCP backed candidate Harshada Wanjale by over 4000 votes.
The election necessitated by the death of the popular Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) legislator Ramesh Wanjale. His widow Harshada contested the polls with the backing Congress-Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) combine, while MNS had decided against putting up any candidate as a tribute to Wanjale’s memory.
However, the result indicates that the Congress-NCP’s hope that Harshada Wanjale could benefit from her husband’s sympathy wave has not fructified.
On the other hand, it remains to be seen whether the opposition, which was expecting a fall-out of Hazare’s crusade on the election outcome, would give credit to the Gandhian for the victory.
The defeat in Khadakvasla would hurt the Congress more than the expected trouncing in Hisar as Maharashtra is considered a stronghold of the party, while it had come third in the last elections held for the Lok Sabha from the Haryana town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof