Oppn MLAs suspended for stalling Maha House
Mumbai: Thirteen Shiv Sena and one BJP
legislator were suspended for a year Friday after they stalled proceedings of Maharashtra Legislative Assembly protesting government`s failure to nab culprits who stole the golden idol
of Lord Ganesh from a temple in Diveagar in Raigad district.
Parliamentary Affairs minister Harshvardhan Patil moved
the resolution for suspension of the members after two
adjournments which were passed by a voice vote.
The Sena members who have been suspended are?-Pratap
Sarnaik, Mahadev Babar, Vijay Shivtare, Eknath Shinde, Vinod
Ghosalkar, Rajan Vichare, Dyanraj Chougule, Sanjay Gavande,
Sujit Minchekar, Abhijit Adsul, Balaji Kinikar, Chandrakant
Mokate and Daulat Daroda. The lone suspended BJP MLA was Ram
Patil said the members had breached the privilege of the House by their action of disregarding the Chair and bringing idol of a deity on the floor of the House.
The House was later adjourned for the day. Earlier, at
the fag end of the Question Hour, Sena members came into the
house carrying a silver plated idol of the elephant headed
god shouting "Ganpati Bappa Morya?Ganpati gele chori la...laaj
nahi sarkarla"(Ganpati has been stolen and the government is
not ashamed). They also played the cymbals.
After the Question Hour, when MLA Pratap Sarnaik stood
up, Speaker Dilip Walse Patil asked him to remove the topi and
saffron robes worn by him before speaking in the House.
The member started singing the Ganesh `arti` and was
joined by rest of the Sena legislators following which Patil
adjourned the House for 30 minutes.
Later, when the House re-assembled, Deputy Speaker Vasant
Purke admonished Sena members for bringing the idol into the
House and asked the legislators who had gathered into the Well
to take their seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand