Opposition should not demoralize: RR Patil
Mumbai: Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil on Monday said the opposition should not "demoralize" him and the police with its criticism over the violence in south Mumbai on Saturday.
Two persons were killed and as many as 55 others, including 46 policemen, were injured when a rally for protesting the incidents in Assam and Myanmar turned violent.
Patil has come in for flak over the incident. Asked about calls for his resignation by Shiv Sena and BJP, he said the opposition should not "demoralize" him and the police.
"The opposition always demands my resignation whenever any untoward incident takes place. They should not demoralize the Home Minister and Police."
When asked if underworld elements could possibly be involved, Patil said all angles were being probed, and "it will be too early to reach to any conclusions".
Stating that action will be taken against the accused, he said, "Most of the crowd which had gathered there was peaceful."
Who brought the miscreants to the rally would be investigated, he said.
"Why the protesters attacked the media and the police is also being investigated," he said, adding that Crime Branch of Mumbai police had got the CCTV footage and other pieces of evidence.
Patil also refused to blame intelligence agencies for not alerting about possible violence. "(Getting) Hundred percent intelligence is not possible every time. Such incident was never witnessed at Azad Maidan," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report