Options of Pawar becoming PM open, indicates NCP
New Delhi: NCP on Wednesday was non-committal on whether Sharad Pawar will work in a UPA government headed by Rahul Gandhi but indicated all options of the party supremo becoming prime minister are open depending on "circumstances".
"Till now the Congress has not declared its prime ministerial candidate. A leader heading the Congress campaign (does not mean PM candidate)... There is a difference between the two," party spokesman D P Tripathi told reporters.
Asked what will Pawar do if Rahul is made the PM candidate, he said, "There are no ifs and buts... Let them do, then only we will react."
However, he said it was for the Congress to elect its leader. On being asked whether the NCP was in favour of prime ministership for Pawar, Tripathi said the party does not have the numbers.
"We are a national party, but we are aware of our limitations... We are a small party with a very big leader. Parliamentary democracy is a numbers game," he said.
"It all depends upon circumstances, options will always remain open," he said in reply to questions on the issue.
To a query whether the NCP was putting pressure on the Congress through such replies, Tripathi said, "If their pressures had worked, then there would have been lot of good (in the UPA)."
NCP is the second largest party in the Congress-led UPA and the two are also sharing power in Maharashtra since 1999 soon after Pawar parted ways with the Congress on the issue of foreign origin of Sonia Gandhi.
Tripathi also demanded that a meeting of the UPA Coordination Committee should be convened soon as a session of Parliament is nearing and plans to bring a lot of anti-graft bills are on the cards.
The NCP has already announced that Pawar will contest the Rajya Sabha elections this time and will file his nomination in Mumbai on January 24.
Tripathi said Pawar is the only leader in the country who has successfully contested Lok Sabha and assembly polls since 1967.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins