Out to kill wife, farmer stabs student in Mumbai
Mumbai: Vijay Sangelkar, a 35-year-old farmer from the Konkan region, came to Mumbai on Sunday to kill his estranged wife.
However, mistaking a 25-year-old woman for his wife, Sangelkar stabbed a wrong person.
The victim, Sonal S Lapashiya, a student of chartered accountancy, was brutally stabbed close to a police post near Dadar railway station. The incident took place yesterday, in one of the city’s busiest areas.
The crime took place in full public view at nine in the morning when Sonal was walking towards a bus stop. Sangelkar used to a sickle to attack the victim.
According to witnesses, the farmer realised his mistake only when Sonal’s scarf fell off her face. But by then, the damage had been done.
Sonal, who was bleeding profusely, was rushed to Sion Hospital and later to Bombay Hospital with injuries on her wrist and face.
Sangelkar was beaten up by an irate mob before police arrived at the scene.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa