Outrage in Parl over gang-rape of a Mumbai photo-journalist
New Delhi: Parliament on Monday witnessed outrage over the gang-rape of a young photo-journalist in Mumbai with many members demanding death for the culprits, as Government promised to take all possible steps to check such crimes.
In the Lok Sabha, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde assured the members of expeditious action against the accused.
Winding up a discussion in the Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for Home Affairs RPN Singh said, "The Government and the police forces will pull up their socks and take all steps to check these indicants with all our might."
Singh said the number of rape incidents has been rising across the country and the government has taken several steps after the December 16 Delhi gang-rape case to strengthen the laws.
"Do you really think that any Government or a police force alone would be able to stop these rapes. It is a much larger issue and we need to order a study to find these issues," he said.
On members demand for death penalty for rapists, Singh said the Government had consulted several women NGOs on the issue but none of them wanted it as this could lead to the death of all rape victims.
About disbursal of the Rs 1,000 crore Nirbhaya fund, he said discussions have been held by all the stakeholders including the Ministries of Home, Women and Child Development and Social Justice.
"The disbursal of funds would be done by the Finance Ministry and proposals have been submitted to the Ministry of Finance for clearance," Singh said.
Singh said the Government will expedite the use of the fund created five months ago for taking steps to enhance the safety and security of women.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview