Outrage in Parl over gang-rape of a Mumbai photo-journalist
New Delhi: Parliament on Monday witnessed outrage over the gang-rape of a young photo-journalist in Mumbai with many members demanding death for the culprits, as Government promised to take all possible steps to check such crimes.
In the Lok Sabha, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde assured the members of expeditious action against the accused.
Winding up a discussion in the Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for Home Affairs RPN Singh said, "The Government and the police forces will pull up their socks and take all steps to check these indicants with all our might."
Singh said the number of rape incidents has been rising across the country and the government has taken several steps after the December 16 Delhi gang-rape case to strengthen the laws.
"Do you really think that any Government or a police force alone would be able to stop these rapes. It is a much larger issue and we need to order a study to find these issues," he said.
On members demand for death penalty for rapists, Singh said the Government had consulted several women NGOs on the issue but none of them wanted it as this could lead to the death of all rape victims.
About disbursal of the Rs 1,000 crore Nirbhaya fund, he said discussions have been held by all the stakeholders including the Ministries of Home, Women and Child Development and Social Justice.
"The disbursal of funds would be done by the Finance Ministry and proposals have been submitted to the Ministry of Finance for clearance," Singh said.
Singh said the Government will expedite the use of the fund created five months ago for taking steps to enhance the safety and security of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video