Over 140 MLAs of Maha Assembly face criminal charges
Mumbai: Among the newly elected MLAs in the three states, where assembly polls concluded recently, Maharastra leads the list of largest number of legislators with criminal cases pending against them followed by Haryana and Arunachal Pradesh.
According to the data by National Election Watch, an NGO working for electoral reforms, a total of 143 newly elected MLAs in Maharastra have criminal records and the highest number of them -- 31 -- are from Shiv Sena, followed by BJP and Congress with 26 each and NCP (24 winning candidates).
There are also 36 successful candidates in the 288-member Maharashtra Assembly who are either independents or from other regional parties and have criminal cases pending against them, the data said.
While in the 90-member House in Haryana, 15 new MLAs face criminal charges, including six from Indian National Lok Dal and five from Congress.
Arunachal Pradesh, which has 60 assembly constituencies, have three winning MLAs from Congress with tainted background, it said.
The data was prepared after analysing the affidavits of candidates who contested in the recently-held assembly elections in the three states.
The NGO looked into the affidavits of a total of 3,297 candidates out of 3,565 contestants who were in the fray for Maharashtra Assembly elections.
Similarly, affidavits of 855 out of 1,222 candidates, who had contested elections in Haryana were analysed and in Arunachal Pradesh, the NGO made its analysis on the basis of affidavits of all the 157 candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow