Over 300 Vidarbha region farmers protest over long pending demands
Nagpur: More than 300 farmers of the draught-affected areas of Vidarbha region staged a protest in Yavatmal district demanding the state government to take steps to provide relief to farmers.
The farmers gathered at the Pandharkawada tehsil office of Yavatmal district, around 150 kms from here, yesterday, and raised their various demand like to waive off loan, fresh allotment of crop loan, loans for tribals etc.
Vidarbha Jan Andolan Conveyor Kishor Tiwari said that they have also submitted a letter to Maharashtra chief minister, through tehsildar, stating if their demands are not met by September 5, farmers in their respective villages in the Vidarbha region will go on hunger strike.
He said more than one lakh farmers have signed the letter.
"Government is not taking care of farmers in the draught affected areas. We have already raised our long pending demands like loan waiver, fresh allotment of crop loan but government is not paying heed," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa