Over 40 hospitalised after inhaling toxic gas in Navi Mumbai
Mumbai: Over 40 people, including children, were on Tuesday hospitalised with breathing problems after inhaling poisonous ammonia gas which leaked from a tank in a cold storage room of a company in neighbouring Navi Mumbai, police said.
The leakage was plugged this afternoon and the
situation is now under control, they said, adding an FIR was
registered against the management of Naik Oceanic Exports Pvt
Ltd under IPC sections 284 (negligent conduct with respect to
poisonous substance) and 287 (negligent conduct with respect
Following the leakage that caused breathing problems
to the people, an angry mob from Dongricha Pada village pelted
stones at the security cabin of the plant and damaged four
vehicles of the company, D K Ghule, senior inspector at Taloja
police station told PTI.
"At the moment, 39 are undergoing treatment in various
hospitals. More than 40 victims, including children, were
taken to various hospitals but some have been discharged after
the first aid," Ghule said.
According to police, at around 8.30 am, they received
a complaint that the workers and people in the village
adjacent to the factory, had suffered breathing problems due
ammonia gas leakage from the company, owned by Rafiq Naik, in
Immediately, fire brigade and chemical analyst experts
were notified, who in turn, rushed to the spot and managed to
plug the leakage near the valve of the tank.
"Four of the victims are now in the ICU of MGM
hospital. Their condition is said to be out of danger. Some
children were also admitted in the hospitals for breathing
problems," Ghule said.
The entire factory and the nearby premises have been
evacuated, police said.
"Due to load shedding in this industrial region on
Tuesday, usually many factories remain closed. This company
was also not open today but there were some workers inside,"
"Had the incident happened on any other working day,
the number of victims would have been more," he said, adding
that further probe was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre