Over 800 shanties destroyed in fire in south Mumbai, 1 dead
Mumbai: A major fire ripped through a slum area at Cuffe Parade in south Mumbai on Thursday afternoon, claiming one life and destroying 800 to 1,000 shanties, a Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation officer said.
The body of the victim was charred to such extent that it was difficult to identify whether it was a man or a woman, an officer from BMC`s disaster management cell said.
The fire broke out at Ambedkar Nagar at the Backbay Depot in Cuffe Parade in the afternoon and was completely doused by fire fighters at around 5:15 pm.
"800-1000 huts were gutted, out of the total 2,000," he said.
Sixteen fire engines, eight jumbo water tankers and ambulances were rushed to the spot.
"As the shanties had plastic covers all around, the fire spread fast. Also, the explosion of cylinders in the huts caused it to flare up," the officer said.
Another fire broke out in the city in a slum near Wadala RTO, where construction work was underway, at 10 this morning, destroying several huts of labourers.
The cause of the fire could not be ascertained in both the cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP