Pachayat members to lose post for not having toilets
Mumbai: Members of Pachayats in
Maharashtra including Sarpanch would lose their posts if they
do not construct toilet in their home.
The decision was taken at the cabinet meeting held
here today in order to keep the rural areas clean and make
representatives set an example before the people.
"It was introduced as part of the Nirmal Gram Scheme
to have an open defecation-free districts," an official from
Water Resources and Sanitation Department said.
The members have been given deadline of January 1,
2011 to build the toilets else their membership would be
cancelled on March 31, 2011, the official said.
Even the candidates willing to contest the Panchayat
polls after April 1, 2011 would have toilets at their houses,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet