Pachayat members to lose post for not having toilets
Mumbai: Members of Pachayats in
Maharashtra including Sarpanch would lose their posts if they
do not construct toilet in their home.
The decision was taken at the cabinet meeting held
here today in order to keep the rural areas clean and make
representatives set an example before the people.
"It was introduced as part of the Nirmal Gram Scheme
to have an open defecation-free districts," an official from
Water Resources and Sanitation Department said.
The members have been given deadline of January 1,
2011 to build the toilets else their membership would be
cancelled on March 31, 2011, the official said.
Even the candidates willing to contest the Panchayat
polls after April 1, 2011 would have toilets at their houses,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA