Pakmodia firing case: Rajan gang member to be held
Mumbai: Gangster Chhota Rajan`s alleged aide Paulson Joseph, jailed in connection with the murder of a senior journalist, is also likely to be booked in a case of firing outside the residence of fugitive don Dawood Ibrahim`s brother Iqbal Kaskar.
Joseph, the 10th accused in the sensational killing of senior journalist Jyotirmoy Dey, was arrested on September 05.
As his police custody was over in the senior crime reporter`s killing, he was produced today before the MCOCA court which remanded him in judicial custody till September 30. The judicial custody of the nine other accused arrested in the same case was extended for the same period.
"Joseph was remanded to judicial custody till September 30," said special public prosecutor Dileep Shah.
Shah said the crime branch has moved an application seeking production of Joseph in the court so that he can be arrested in the firing case and his custody can be sought.
"We moved an application in the MCOCA court today seeking the custody of Joseph in the Pakmodia street firing case," Assistant Police Commissioner Ashok Duraphe said, adding the application will be heard on Monday.
According to police, Joseph had provided global SIM cards to Umed-Ul-Rehman, an alleged Rajan member who had been arrested in the firing case.
Two gunmen had fired outside Kaskar`s residence on Pakmodia street in south Mumbai on May 17, killing Kaskar`s bodyguard-cum-driver Arif Syed Abu Bukha. Kaskar was not present at the time of the incident.
Police had arrested seven accused and Rajan is wanted in the firing case. Joseph had also allegedly provided global SIM cards to the accused involved in the murder of Dey, editor (Investigations) with the city-based English tabloid, Mid Day.
He was shot dead by four motorcycle-borne assailants in suburban Powai on June 11.
Meanwhile, the statement of Ravi Rattesar, who is the prime witness in Dey`s case, has been recorded under section 164 of Criminal Procedure Code before a Magistrate, Crime branch sources said.
Rattesar was the one who gave the global SIM cards to Joseph as per his request and these cards were used in both the crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn