Palestinian held in Mumbai for smuggling gold bars worth Rs 3.5 cr
Mumbai: A Palestinian student was today arrested by Customs officials at the international airport in Mumbai for allegedly trying to smuggle in gold bars worth Rs 3.5 crore.
Mohammed Rana, an engineering student, was intercepted while he was passing through the green channel this morning, a Customs official said.
When his luggage was checked, gold bars weighing 10.5 kg were found in his possession. Only those passengers who have no goods to declare can pass through the green channel, the official added.
According to Customs, Rana was stopped on suspicion and on checking the meticulously concealed gold bars were sighted.
Rana, who landed at the airport on a Gulf Air flight from Bahrain, was subsequently arrested and the gold bars were confiscated, the official added.
The 22-year-old came to deliver the gold to a receiver in the city, the official said, adding probe was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!