Pallavi Purkayastha murder case: Attempt to rape charge against watchman
Mumbai: Over four months after the murder of the city-based lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha, allegedly by the watchman of her building, the prosecution on Thursday slapped attempt to rape charge against him.
The prosecution today submitted draft charges to a local court with addition of the attempt to rape charge against Sajjad Mughal (22), a native of Jammu and Kashmir, who was employed as a security guard at `Himalayan Heights` in suburban Wadala where he allegedly killed Pallavi on August 9 for resisting his advances.
Police had earlier claimed that Mughal used to ogle the 25-year-old victim, the daughter of IAS officer Atanu Purkayastha, the joint secretary in the Agriculture ministry.
The court is likely to frame charges, including trespassing, murder and attempt to rape under sections 376 (punishment for rape) of IPC r/w 511 (punishment for attempting to commit offences punishable with imprisonment for life or other imprisonment) against Mughal next month.
The Crime Branch had filed a 434-page chargesheet on October 30 against Mughal under the charges of trespassing and murder.
In his statement to police, Mughal had said that he sneaked in Pallavi`s flat on August 9 using a set of duplicate keys and tried to force himself upon her.
"However when I forced myself upon her she resisted and started screaming and at this time I assaulted her with my knife that I was already carrying," Mughal had said in his statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!