Pallavi Purkayastha murder case: Attempt to rape charge against watchman
Mumbai: Over four months after the murder of the city-based lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha, allegedly by the watchman of her building, the prosecution on Thursday slapped attempt to rape charge against him.
The prosecution today submitted draft charges to a local court with addition of the attempt to rape charge against Sajjad Mughal (22), a native of Jammu and Kashmir, who was employed as a security guard at `Himalayan Heights` in suburban Wadala where he allegedly killed Pallavi on August 9 for resisting his advances.
Police had earlier claimed that Mughal used to ogle the 25-year-old victim, the daughter of IAS officer Atanu Purkayastha, the joint secretary in the Agriculture ministry.
The court is likely to frame charges, including trespassing, murder and attempt to rape under sections 376 (punishment for rape) of IPC r/w 511 (punishment for attempting to commit offences punishable with imprisonment for life or other imprisonment) against Mughal next month.
The Crime Branch had filed a 434-page chargesheet on October 30 against Mughal under the charges of trespassing and murder.
In his statement to police, Mughal had said that he sneaked in Pallavi`s flat on August 9 using a set of duplicate keys and tried to force himself upon her.
"However when I forced myself upon her she resisted and started screaming and at this time I assaulted her with my knife that I was already carrying," Mughal had said in his statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi