Pallavi Purkayastha murder case: Attempt to rape charge against watchman
Mumbai: Over four months after the murder of the city-based lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha, allegedly by the watchman of her building, the prosecution on Thursday slapped attempt to rape charge against him.
The prosecution today submitted draft charges to a local court with addition of the attempt to rape charge against Sajjad Mughal (22), a native of Jammu and Kashmir, who was employed as a security guard at `Himalayan Heights` in suburban Wadala where he allegedly killed Pallavi on August 9 for resisting his advances.
Police had earlier claimed that Mughal used to ogle the 25-year-old victim, the daughter of IAS officer Atanu Purkayastha, the joint secretary in the Agriculture ministry.
The court is likely to frame charges, including trespassing, murder and attempt to rape under sections 376 (punishment for rape) of IPC r/w 511 (punishment for attempting to commit offences punishable with imprisonment for life or other imprisonment) against Mughal next month.
The Crime Branch had filed a 434-page chargesheet on October 30 against Mughal under the charges of trespassing and murder.
In his statement to police, Mughal had said that he sneaked in Pallavi`s flat on August 9 using a set of duplicate keys and tried to force himself upon her.
"However when I forced myself upon her she resisted and started screaming and at this time I assaulted her with my knife that I was already carrying," Mughal had said in his statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?