Pallavi Purkayastha murder case: Attempt to rape charge against watchman
Mumbai: Over four months after the murder of the city-based lawyer Pallavi Purkayastha, allegedly by the watchman of her building, the prosecution on Thursday slapped attempt to rape charge against him.
The prosecution today submitted draft charges to a local court with addition of the attempt to rape charge against Sajjad Mughal (22), a native of Jammu and Kashmir, who was employed as a security guard at `Himalayan Heights` in suburban Wadala where he allegedly killed Pallavi on August 9 for resisting his advances.
Police had earlier claimed that Mughal used to ogle the 25-year-old victim, the daughter of IAS officer Atanu Purkayastha, the joint secretary in the Agriculture ministry.
The court is likely to frame charges, including trespassing, murder and attempt to rape under sections 376 (punishment for rape) of IPC r/w 511 (punishment for attempting to commit offences punishable with imprisonment for life or other imprisonment) against Mughal next month.
The Crime Branch had filed a 434-page chargesheet on October 30 against Mughal under the charges of trespassing and murder.
In his statement to police, Mughal had said that he sneaked in Pallavi`s flat on August 9 using a set of duplicate keys and tried to force himself upon her.
"However when I forced myself upon her she resisted and started screaming and at this time I assaulted her with my knife that I was already carrying," Mughal had said in his statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors