Panchayat poll winners get six-months for filing caste docus
Mumbai: Maharashtra cabinet on thursday approved a proposal to give six-month time to candidates for submitting caste validity certificates for contesting the gram panchayat elections.
According to officials, the caste validation committees have tremendous work burden and it is not possible to provide the certificates for aspiring candidates in the stipulated time frame.
The Maharashtra Gram Panchayat Act will be amended so that aspiring candidates are not prevented from contesting the panchayat polls.
While filing their nomination papers, candidates will have to provide a proof of having submitted their caste validity application to the committee, with an affidavit that they would submit the certificate within six months of winning the polls, they said.
The decision will benefit candidates planning to contest in over 7,000 gram panchayats, that will go to polls next month.
The cabinet also reviewed crop sowing situation in the state.
Maharashtra has received an average of 89 per cent rainfall. The Kharif crop sowing has been completed in 133.26 lakh hectares area, while there is 65 per cent water stored in the state`s reservoirs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview