Panel to check illegal tree cutting in Konkan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government would set
up a committee to check illegal cutting of trees in coastal
Konkan region of the state, the Legislative Council was
informed here on Friday.
"A committee would be set up by the Government to stop
illegal cutting of trees in Konkan region," Forest Minister
Patangrao Kadam informed the House.
The committee would comprise Chief Forest Conservator,
Forest Conservator of Pune and Konkan Divisional Commissioner,
Thane, Raigad, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg districts
would come under the purview of the committee, he added.
Shiv Sena MLC Anil Parab raised the issue of
large-scale tree cutting in Ratnagiri district and asked if
any action had been taken against it.
The Forest Department is also checking if such cases
can be dealt with under Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime
Act (MCOCA), the minister said in a written answer.
The department would seek legal opinion on the issue,
the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday