Pappu Kalani convicted for murder conspiracy in 23-yr-old case
Thane: Former Ulhasnagar MLA Suresh alias Pappu Kalani and three others were on Friday found guilty by a court here in a 23-year-old murder case.
Kalani was convicted for criminal conspiracy by Additional Sessions Judge Rajeshwari Bapat-Sarkar here, who acquitted two others for want of evidence.
One Ghanashyam Bhatija was murdered in Ulhasnagar on February 27, 1990 near the Pinto Resorts in Ulhasnagar in the district. His brother Inder Bhatija, who had seen his brother getting gunned down, was himself shot dead on April 28, 1990 despite having police protection.
According to police, both the murders were a fall-out of long-standing political and criminal enmities.
The police filed charge sheet against Pappu Kalani, Bacchi Pandey, Baba Gabrial, Mohamad Asrat, Dr Narendra Ramsinghani,, and one Richard. While Bacchi, Baba and Mohamad were held guilty of murder and conspiracy, Kalani was convicted only for conspiracy (section 120-B of Indian Penal Code).
The remaining two were acquitted. Sentences would be announced tomorrow.
Kalani was president of Ulhasnagar Municipal Council and MLA of Congress at one time. Later he floated his own party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Chinese President Xi Jinping urges caution over US missile deployment in South Korea
- 7th Pay Commission: Auto makers expect spurt in sales
- 'Star Trek Beyond' to hit Indian screens on July 22!
- Salman Khan failed to recognise Sushant Singh Rajput! - Details inside
- Bomb explosion in Syria kills seven, leaves 25 injured