Pappu Kalani convicted for murder conspiracy in 23-yr-old case
Thane: Former Ulhasnagar MLA Suresh alias Pappu Kalani and three others were on Friday found guilty by a court here in a 23-year-old murder case.
Kalani was convicted for criminal conspiracy by Additional Sessions Judge Rajeshwari Bapat-Sarkar here, who acquitted two others for want of evidence.
One Ghanashyam Bhatija was murdered in Ulhasnagar on February 27, 1990 near the Pinto Resorts in Ulhasnagar in the district. His brother Inder Bhatija, who had seen his brother getting gunned down, was himself shot dead on April 28, 1990 despite having police protection.
According to police, both the murders were a fall-out of long-standing political and criminal enmities.
The police filed charge sheet against Pappu Kalani, Bacchi Pandey, Baba Gabrial, Mohamad Asrat, Dr Narendra Ramsinghani,, and one Richard. While Bacchi, Baba and Mohamad were held guilty of murder and conspiracy, Kalani was convicted only for conspiracy (section 120-B of Indian Penal Code).
The remaining two were acquitted. Sentences would be announced tomorrow.
Kalani was president of Ulhasnagar Municipal Council and MLA of Congress at one time. Later he floated his own party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!