Part of bridge on Eastern Freeway collapses in Mumbai, 1 dead
Mumbai: One person was killed and five others were injured when a portion of an under-construction bridge on Eastern Freeway collapsed at Wadala in central Mumbai on Thursday night.
The incident took place at about 10.45 pm when a portion of the bridge fell on the vehicles underneath, and some people were trapped under the debris, official sources said.
Initially, fire brigade officers had said that it was "a part of a monorail bridge" that had collapsed, but later officials of MMRDA, the city`s planning body, clarified that it was actually a part of Eastern Freeway, connecting south Mumbai and Navi Mumbai.
At least six person were taken to nearby hospitals, where one was declared dead.
"Our officials are at the site. We will initiate an inquiry into the incident," MMRDA spokesperson Dilip Kavathkar told PTI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested