Part of bridge on Eastern Freeway collapses in Mumbai, 1 dead
Mumbai: One person was killed and five others were injured when a portion of an under-construction bridge on Eastern Freeway collapsed at Wadala in central Mumbai on Thursday night.
The incident took place at about 10.45 pm when a portion of the bridge fell on the vehicles underneath, and some people were trapped under the debris, official sources said.
Initially, fire brigade officers had said that it was "a part of a monorail bridge" that had collapsed, but later officials of MMRDA, the city`s planning body, clarified that it was actually a part of Eastern Freeway, connecting south Mumbai and Navi Mumbai.
At least six person were taken to nearby hospitals, where one was declared dead.
"Our officials are at the site. We will initiate an inquiry into the incident," MMRDA spokesperson Dilip Kavathkar told PTI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi