Part of bridge on Eastern Freeway collapses in Mumbai, 1 dead
Mumbai: One person was killed and five others were injured when a portion of an under-construction bridge on Eastern Freeway collapsed at Wadala in central Mumbai on Thursday night.
The incident took place at about 10.45 pm when a portion of the bridge fell on the vehicles underneath, and some people were trapped under the debris, official sources said.
Initially, fire brigade officers had said that it was "a part of a monorail bridge" that had collapsed, but later officials of MMRDA, the city`s planning body, clarified that it was actually a part of Eastern Freeway, connecting south Mumbai and Navi Mumbai.
At least six person were taken to nearby hospitals, where one was declared dead.
"Our officials are at the site. We will initiate an inquiry into the incident," MMRDA spokesperson Dilip Kavathkar told PTI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray