Part of bridge on Eastern Freeway collapses in Mumbai, 1 dead
Mumbai: One person was killed and five others were injured when a portion of an under-construction bridge on Eastern Freeway collapsed at Wadala in central Mumbai on Thursday night.
The incident took place at about 10.45 pm when a portion of the bridge fell on the vehicles underneath, and some people were trapped under the debris, official sources said.
Initially, fire brigade officers had said that it was "a part of a monorail bridge" that had collapsed, but later officials of MMRDA, the city`s planning body, clarified that it was actually a part of Eastern Freeway, connecting south Mumbai and Navi Mumbai.
At least six person were taken to nearby hospitals, where one was declared dead.
"Our officials are at the site. We will initiate an inquiry into the incident," MMRDA spokesperson Dilip Kavathkar told PTI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof