Part of bridge on Eastern Freeway collapses in Mumbai, 1 dead
Mumbai: One person was killed and five others were injured when a portion of an under-construction bridge on Eastern Freeway collapsed at Wadala in central Mumbai on Thursday night.
The incident took place at about 10.45 pm when a portion of the bridge fell on the vehicles underneath, and some people were trapped under the debris, official sources said.
Initially, fire brigade officers had said that it was "a part of a monorail bridge" that had collapsed, but later officials of MMRDA, the city`s planning body, clarified that it was actually a part of Eastern Freeway, connecting south Mumbai and Navi Mumbai.
At least six person were taken to nearby hospitals, where one was declared dead.
"Our officials are at the site. We will initiate an inquiry into the incident," MMRDA spokesperson Dilip Kavathkar told PTI.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India