Patil blames internet, assures safety to those from North-East
Mumbai: Social networking sites were being misused to spread rumours on Assam situation and action would be taken against the mischief-mongers, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil said here on Thursday.
"Social networking sites are being used to spread rumours," Patil said, adding he had directed police officials to ensure safety of students from North-East.
"We are requesting the central government in helping shut down social networking sites found involved in spreading rumours," Patil said.
"I have asked police to set aside routine work if need be and concentrate on providing security to people from North East who live in Maharashtra," he said.
Thirteen persons had been arrested in connection with a couple of incidents of attacks on students or others from North-East, he said.
"I spoke to the Home Minister of Manipur and assured him that our government will take all measures to ensure that people from North-East are safe in Maharashtra," Patil said.
In Nashik, where there were reports of people from the North East rushing back to their home states, the Police Commissioner had held a meeting and assured them of safety, he said.
Police were trying hard to remove fear from the minds of students from the North-East, the Home Minister added.
There had been incidents of students from the region being attacked in Pune last week. Pune police today said doctored videos of violence in Assam were circulating on internet and through mobile phones and they were trying to approach Google and Facebook in this regard.
Earlier in the day, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had said students from North East would be given protection and he had talked to state DGP in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22