Paucity of doctors for posting in tribal areas: Govt tells HC
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Wednesday informed the Bombay High Court that there was a paucity of doctors for postings in the tribal areas where malnutrition is rampant.
The offer of 20 percent additional marks to medical students for taking up such postings did not work, it said.
The court was hearing a PIL filed by Purnima Upadhyay, seeking proper implementation of schemes intended to curb malnutrition in Melghat and other tribal areas of Maharashtra.
When the court was told that there was no coordination between various departments such as Women and Child Welfare, Public Health, Tribal Development and Medical Education, the judges suggested constitution of a core committee with a nodal officer to take care of the issues in tribal areas.
The High Court had earlier reprimanded the government for its lackadaisical approach and warned that contempt notice will be issued to the secretary of Public Health department if concrete steps were not taken within two weeks.
However, the court expressed satisfaction today saying that at least some progress has been made. When informed that 33 percent posts for doctors remained vacant, the court asked as to why they were not being filled up instead of resorting to interim arrangements by bringing doctors from nearby rural hospitals.
"Why don`t you people fill up these posts?" Justice DY Chandrachud and Justice SC Gupte asked, adding that poor people dependent on the rural hospitals will suffer.
Government Pleader Vandana Bhide submitted that the authorities were unable to recruit specialists to fill up the posts. Bhide said doctors who sign the bonds refuse to go and cases are pending where doctors have challenged such postings.
The government spends lot of money on doctors who sign bonds and the idea is they pay back through such postings, the court said.
Adjourning the hearing to July 9, the court has asked the state to give details about constitution of a committee to consider the issue of doctors signing bonds to serve in rural/tribal areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced