Pawar bats for Lavasa, development of sites near water bodies
Pune: Criticising "elements opposing development", NCP chief Sharad Pawar Tuesday endorsed the concept behind controversial Lavasa lake city project, saying there were 26 unpopulated sites near water bodies in the state that could be developed on the lines of English tourist towns.
Venting his ire over agitation by a section of social and green activists against the project of Hindustan Construction Company over environmental and land acquisition issues, Pawar said the negative campaign stalled it for some years before it got back on the track.
"There are 26 sites near unpopulated water bodies in Maharashtra that can be developed on the lines of English tourist towns," the former Union Agriculture Minister said.
Pawar was speaking at the 80th anniversary function of the Mahratta Chamber of Commerce and Industry here.
Pawar, who is said to have conceptualised the Lavasa project in the district, has been its ardent supporter despite various objections raised by environment and social activists. He said the lake city was now a tourist attraction, visited by about 10,000 people every week.
He also advised the media not to give publicity to the negative campaigns of the "elements opposed to development" and stressed the need to change the mindset to welcome new ideas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened